share this article

With 50 states, a district, some major territories, and a couple of islands, there’s no shortage of places to visit in the USA. Whether it’s sunny California or freezing Alaska, America has it all. But getting there and chasing that American dream requires some planning – that US visa is not an easy one to get your hands on. 

5 Tawfik Diab Street, Garden City, Cairo, Egypt

Working Hours:
Saturday to Thursday
7 AM to 4 PM 

Contact Number:
Tel: +(202) 2797 3300
Fax: +(202) 2797 3200

Email Address:


Helnan Palestine Hotel, Montazah Park, Alexandria

Working Hours:

Sunday to Thursday
8 AM to 4:30 PM 

Contact Number:
Tel: +(203) 538 5800

Email Address:


  • STEP 1: Complete the DS-160 form for your B2 tourist visa. There are some DS-160 guidelines if you're stuck.
  • STEP 2: Create an account on the application website.
  • STEP 3: Pay the $160 visa fee at your nearest CIB branch. Make sure to log into your account and print your visa deposit slip before heading to the bank to make the payment. Also, make sure you save your visa payment receipt; it can't be replaced if it's lost, and you'll need the CGI reference number on the receipt to schedule your visa appointment.  
  • STEP 4: Schedule your visa appointment by logging in and clicking on Schedule Appointment on the left-hand side menu. To schedule your appointment, you'll need to have your passport number, your CGI reference number from the payment receipt, and the 10-digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page.
  • STEP 5: Visit the U.S. Embassy on the date and time of your visa interview with the documents outlined below. 

Note: if more than one person is included in your passport, each person desiring a visa must submit an application.


  • A passport valid for at least 6 months after your intended stay in the US, as well as all old passports
  • Your completed DS-160 form and confirmation page
  • Two (5 cm x 5 cm) photos with specific format requirements.
  • The receipt from your non-refundable visa fees.
  • An interview appointment letter confirming that you booked an appointment.


While the following documents are not mandatory, you should bring them to your interview (preferably as originals, not copies) as they are one of the many factors a consular officer will consider in your interview.

  • Proof of all your income and tax payments, as well as property or business ownership, or any assets.
  • An HR letter indicating your title, salary, how long you've been working at the company, and any authorized vacation, as well as payslips from your last three months of employment.
  • Bank statement showing your account status for the last six months.
  • Your travel itinerary and/or other explanation of your planned trip.
  • Criminal/court records pertaining to any arrest or conviction anywhere, even if you completed your sentence or were later pardoned.
  • If you were previously in the United States, any documents attesting to your immigration or visa status.
  • Proof that the purpose of your trip to the United States is for a temporary visit.
  • Proof that you plan to remain in the United States for a specific, limited period of time.
  • Proof that you have a residence outside the United States, as well as other binding social or economic ties, that will ensure your return abroad at the end of your visit.
  • For students: your latest school results, transcripts, and degrees/diplomas. Also bring evidence of financial support, such as monthly bank statements, fixed deposit slips, or other evidence.


If you are permanently exempt from the army, you don’t need a travel permit but you need to ensure proof of exemption on your passport.

If you’re still within the legal age of conscription – even if you’ve completed your military service and are still part of the reserve forces – you’ll need to get a travel permit from the army.

There are other cases if you’re within the legal age of conscription where you will need a travel permit.

How long does it take for this visa to be issued?
We highly recommend that applicants start the application process about three months in advance of their intended travel date since appointments are usually full 2-3 months in advance, and the application processing could from 90-120 days in some cases.

Do I need a security clearance from the Tahrir Compound (tasree7 amny) to visit the US?

No, a security clearance isn't necessary for traveling to the US.

Do I need a family registration document (qeid 3a2ely) to visit the US?
No, the US doesn’t require a family registration document.

What does the visa process look like for children? 
Children also require visas for entry into the US, regardless of their age; however, children under 14 years of age are not required to attend the interview process. 

Can I travel with my family?
Yes, but each family member requires a separate application and visa payment.

What is a CGI reference number?
It is a number you will find on the receipt of your visa payment, so it's really so important to keep this receipt after receiving it. 

How long can I stay in the US as a tourist?
That will depend on the customs officer. A US nonimmigrant visa grants you permission to travel to a port of entry (airport/seaport) in the United States. When you arrive at your destination port of entry, the US Customs and Border Protection officer who processes your entry will determine the length of time that you may remain in the country. The visa duration does not determine the length of time that you may legally remain in the United States; only the Customs and Border Protection officer can decide this upon your arrival in the United States.

Do I need a transit visa for the USA?
If you're transiting in the USA, you will need a transit visa. Its procedures are exactly the same as the tourist visa, plus providing proof that you're leaving the country and have no intentions of staying.

What do I do if I’m a freelancer?
The main issue with not providing an HR letter is the fear that you might leave the country and never come back, so you need to somehow guarantee that you have sufficient reason to come back to Egypt. There are a couple of ways you can do that:

  • You have proof that you’re working as a freelancer, meaning you can provide a bank statement showing regular monthly payments. That, or you can provide the contract/agreement between your freelance employer and yourself as proof (if applicable).
  • You can provide a bank statement showing a significant amount of money –– meaning you have something to come back to, or likewise provide documents showing you have assets (lands, real estates, etc.) or anything that might help prove your intention of coming back.
  • In some cases, you can apply as someone unemployed (with no proof of employment in your passport). Don't get your hopes up with this option, but it's a last-ditch effort that works with some embassies and not others.

What happens if I break my visa?
Staying past the expected departure date on your U.S visa can carry some serious consequences. For example, your visa will be automatically voided, and you won't be able to apply for a new visa at any consulate outside of your home country. In some cases, you may be barred from returning to the U.S. for a number of years, depending on how long you stayed and whether you fit into an exception or actually accrued "unlawful presence," which is a separate definition under the law.

Do I need certain vaccinations before going to the US?
There are no vaccinations required before traveling to the US.

How do I travel to the US with pets?
You'll need the following documents to travel with your pets to the US:

  • Rabies vaccination at least 30 days prior to arrival (kittens are not required to be vaccinated for rabies to enter the US).
  • Health certification signed by a licensed veterinarian.

Now that you’re ready to go explore the Big Apple (or sneak off to Disney Land), we’ve got some travel hacks to help get you started.

If you have any additional information on the visa process for the US, let us know. We’re always updating our guides to make sure the information is as detailed and up-to-date as possible.

Already been to the US? We’d love to share your story!