share this article

UK is known for quite a few things — tea, sports, a dazzling nightlife — and if that alone isn’t enough, they have David Beckham, too. You won’t find a shortage of things to do in the UK; from museums to pubs, it has got everything a traveler might want in a destination. Weather’s not bad, too, if you’re not a big fan of summer. The visa application process isn’t as complicated as people think; it just needs some planning and time.


The application process for your UK visa starts by applying for The Standard Visitor Visa online.

1. Fill in an online application form.
2. Book an appointment with TLScontact visa application center.
3. Pay the visa fee online.


Infinity Tower, 11B El-Hegaz Street (off of Gameat el Dowal el Arabia Street), Mezzanine Floor, Mohandessin, Giza

3rd floor, 2 Patrice Lumumba Street (in front of Alexandria Stadium, next to Blom Bank Egypt), ElDeeb Building, Bab Sharky, Alexandria

Working Hours
Cairo branch:
Sunday to Thursday 
8 AM to 4 PM

Alexandria branch:
Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday 
8:30 AM to 4 PM

Email Address
You can contact the center via their website.


  • Printed copy of appointment confirmation.
  • Printed and completed application form.
  • A valid passport with at least one blank page.
  • Proof of all your income and tax payments.
  • Bank statement showing your account status for the last six months.
  • An HR letter from your present company, mentioning your salary, job title, and how long you've been working there.
  • If you’re self-employed: business registration documents confirming the business owner’s name and the date the business started trading.
  • For minors under 18: a birth certificate; proof of enrollment; a signed letter from your parent(s) confirming details of anyone accompanying you; details of care and accommodation arranged in the UK; a copy of the biographical page of your parent(s) or legal guardian’s passport, which includes their signature and passport number; if your parent(s) do not have a passport then you must provide another official document that bears their signature.
  • You might want to have a preliminary hotel reservation, as it’s required in the online application to state your place of residence in the UK.
  • A photograph and your fingerprints will be taken during your appointment.

Additional documents may be required for special cases.

Short-term (single or multiple entry):

  • 130 USD at the Cairo TLS branch
  • 190 USD at the Alexandria TLS branch.

The maximum duration of stay is six months.


If you are permanently exempt from the army, you don’t need a travel permit but need to ensure proof of exemption on your passport.

If you’re still within the legal age of conscription – even if you’ve completed your military service and are still part of the reserve forces – you’ll need to get a travel permit from the army.

There are other cases if you’re within the legal age of conscription where you will need a travel permit.


How long does it normally take for this visa to be issued?
According to the official government site, the processing time is 10 days. We suggest factoring in a few extra days just in case.

Do I need a security clearance from the Tahrir Compound (tasree7 amny) to visit the UK?
No, a security clearance from the Tahrir Compound is not required.

Do I need a family registration document (qeid 3a2ely) to visit the UK?
No, the UK doesn’t require a family registration document.

What do I do if I’m a freelancer?
The main issue with not providing an HR letter is the fear that you might leave the country and never come back, so you need to somehow guarantee that you have sufficient reason to come back to Egypt. There are a couple of ways you can do that:

  • You have proof that you’re working as a freelancer, meaning you can provide a bank statement showing regular monthly payments. That, or you can provide the contract/agreement between your freelance employer and yourself as proof (if applicable).
  • You can provide a bank statement showing a significant amount of money –– meaning you have something to come back to, or likewise provide documents showing you have assets (lands, real estates, etc.) or anything that might help prove your intention of coming back.
  • In some cases, you can apply as someone unemployed (with no proof of employment in your passport). Don't get your hopes up with this option, but it's a last-ditch effort that works with some embassies and not others.

Do I need a transit visa for the UK?
If you're going to be transiting in the UK, you will be needing a transit visa, which you'll have to apply for before traveling. The documents you're going to need are your passport, the visa of the country you're going to (or a residence permit), and a flight ticket that shows you're leaving withing 48 hours of arriving to the UK. You should apply online for the transit visa.

What does the visa process look like for children?
Children under the age of 18 are still required to fill in an application form and go through the visa issuing process. However, those under 18 will also need to prove the following:

  • They've made suitable arrangements for their travel and stay in the UK.
  • They have consent from their parent or guardian to travel to the UK.
  • They're able to pay for their return or onward journey.
  • They have enough money to support themselves without working or getting help from public funds, or they have family and friends that can support them.

In the case of minors traveling without adults, they'll need to provide written consent from their parent or guardian, as well as the parent or guardian's full contact details. Minors traveling alone will also need to provide proof that they have somewhere suitable to live during their stay in the UK, including:

  • The name and date of birth of the person that they will be staying with
  • An address where they will be living
  • Details of their relationship to the person who’ll be looking after them
  • Consent in writing so the person can look after them during their stay in the UK

In the case of minors traveling to the UK with an adult (someone over the age of 18), they'll need to identify the adult on their visa application. If the adult is not the minor's parent, they'll need to provide specific information about them in the application. Minors can identify up to two adults on their visa application; the visa will only be valid if at least one of these adults whose name appears on the visa arrives in the UK with the minor. Otherwise, the minor will be refused entry to the UK.

What happens if I break my visa?
You can stay up to 90 days after your visa expiration date, but you must show a very good reason for your overstaying.

Do I need certain vaccinations before going to the UK?
There are no mandatory vaccinations before traveling to the UK. However, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends taking these vaccinations as a precaution if you want to be extra safe. Either way, it's best to follow general hygiene rules – washing your hands before you eat, eating fresh food, drinking bottled water, and so on.

How do I travel to the UK with a pet?

You can travel to the UK with your pet cat, dog, or ferret if:

Exhausting application process aside, getting a UK visa shouldn't be too complicated. If you have any additional information on the visa process for the UK, let us know. We’re always updating our guides to make sure the information is as detailed and up-to-date as possible.

Already been to the UK? We’d love to share your story!