share this article

You'd think that getting a visa to the UK only grants you the ability to explore just the beauty of England, but getting that visa allows you access to even more gorgeous, less crowded, and serene places, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and an Archipelago of majestic islands. To top it all off, as an Emirati, you don't need to go through the troublesome process of getting a visa; you qualify for an Electronic Visa Waiver (EVW)!

You won't need the consulate information, but in case you do:


British Embassy in Abu Dhabi: 22 Khalid bin Al Waleed St.
British Embassy in Dubai: Al Seef Road, Bur Dubai, Near to Dubai Creekside

Contact Number
Abu Dhabi: +971 2 610 1100
Dubai: +971 4 309 4444

Working Hours
Sunday to Thursday: 7:30 AM - 2:30 PM

Electronic Visa Waiver (EVW)

The great thing about EVW is that you won't need a visa to visit the UK for up to 6 months if your visit is for one of the following purposes:

  • Tourism
  • Business
  • Study
  • Medical care

Instead, you can get an electronic visa waiver (EVW). The EVW is for a single entry, so you will need a new one every time you visit the UK. An EVW can’t be used for

  • Work
  • Getting married or entering into a civil partnership in the UK

Getting an EVW is not like getting a regular UK visa. You just need to complete the online form and won’t need to visit a visa application center. There is a non-refundable fee of 15 GBP payable by debit or credit card.

Before you start the form, make sure you have:

  • Your current passport
  • An address in the UK where you will be staying
  • Details of your journey to and from the UK (including departure and arrival dates and times)


  • Fill in all the details in the form, upload an image of your passport photo page, and submit the form. The details you enter must exactly match with what is written in your passport and your travel details must be correct. Otherwise you risk not being allowed to travel. It is okay for someone else to fill in the form on your behalf, but they will have to give their contact details as well as yours.
  • Within 24 hours you will be sent an email with a link to download your EVW.
  • Check your EVW to make sure the details are correct. You must contact us at least 48 hours before travelling to get anything changed.
  • You must bring your EVW with you when you travel. You can either print it, or save it on your mobile phone or tablet.


How long does it take to be issued?
24 hours.

Do I need a bank statement for this visa?
No, you don't.

What does the visa process look like for children?
You have to make a separate online EVW application for each person travelling, including children.

Do I need a need a transit visa?

You always pass through border control if you leave the main airport building for any reason or need to collect your bags and check them in to your onward flight. You must also pass through border control if your onward flight leaves on a different calendar day to when you arrive or there’s nowhere for you to stay overnight in the airport, for example, in a transit hotel. In that case you can apply to either an EVW or a Visitor Transit Visa.

You might be eligible for ‘transit without visa’ if:

  • You arrive and depart by air
  • Have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive
  • Have the correct documents for your destination (eg a visa for that country)

What happens if I break my visa?
If you overstayed for less than 90 days and left the UK voluntarily, not at the expense of the Secretary of State, you will be able to apply for a UK visa.

  • If you overstayed in the UK for more than 90 days, and left the UK voluntarily, not at the expense of the Secretary of State, you will face a ban for one year.
  • If you overstayed in the UK, and were removed at the expense of the Secretary of State, you will face travel bans for longer durations.

Do I need certain vaccinations before going to UK?
There are no mandatory vaccinations before traveling to the UK. However, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends taking these vaccinations as a precaution if you want to be extra safe. Either way, it's best to follow general hygiene rules – washing your hands before you eat, eating fresh food, drinking bottled water, and so on.

How do I travel to the UK with a pet?
You can travel to the UK with your pet cat, dog, or ferret if:

Already been to the UK? We'd love to hear your story!